Far more mergers fail to meet goals and expectations than those that do. This is due, in large part because of a failure of proper due diligence, planning and detailed execution. Any organization embarking on a major merger is faced with the need to understand the capabilities of both organizations and how they can be integrated together. They need to understand what will be taken “as-is” (adopt and go) from each, what will be discarded and what will be integrated together. Additionally there is a real business need to get this all accomplished in the quickest prudent time without having negative impact on current business or the new entity. This involves leading management of change in the extreme and paying extraordinary attention to the details, and using dedicated, M&A-specific tools to help improve communication, cross-team coordination, visibility, and accountability.
These same capabilities are applicable to not only mergers and acquisitions, but divestitures, restructuring and bankruptcies.
The purpose of the Playbook Service is to develop the integration Management Plan (Playbook). People from many different disciplines from the various organizations need to be involved to properly plan the integration.
The entire process can be managed using AbyssPM methods and tools. For medium to large acquisitions we have affiliations with cloud based tool providers to help organize, communicate, track, and quantify results.
- The Playbook includes:
- Integration Charter
- Governance Policy
- Integration Management Office Plan
- Communications Plan
- Management of Change Plan
- Work Stream Schedules and Plans
- Risk Management Plan
- Procurement Plan
- Establishes firm foundation for the merger going forward
- Ensure team is properly setup to successfully manage end-to-end integration
- Time to execute the merger is compressed
- Best practice methodologies in place
- Maintain existing clients and protect the corporate moat during the merger via proper communications and clear expectations
- Maintain key personnel assets via proper communications and human resource planning
- Maintain relationships with key vendors and partners with proper communications
- Monitor and control integrated risk management plans with risk response strategies
The Playbook Service is recommended for organizations with some of the following attributes:
- Mergers defined as high or very high risk
- Geographically dispersed organizations
- Multinational organizations
- Global organizations
- Dynamically changing organizations or environments
- Organizations inexperienced with mergers
- Lack of availability of senior staff